The London Philharmonic Orchestra has long been lauded as one of the most respected and beloved orchestras internationally, but did you know these fun facts about them and the artists with them this week?
1. The LPO has recorded quite the gamut of music: classical music, rock covers, video games, and even 205 anthems for this last summer’s Olympics.
2. Illustrious pianist Helene Grimaud experiences synesthesia, which allows her to see music as color.
3. Vadim Repin, violin virtuoso, plays the 1743 ‘Bonjour’ violin by Guarneri del Gesu.
4. Conductor Vladimir Jurowski is a much-heralded and sought-after conductor, now leading concerts the world over, including London, Paris, Edinburgh, and even here in New York at the Met Opera.
5. They join the Great Performers series this Sunday and Monday at Avery Fisher Hall for what promises to be brilliant performances of Beethoven, Mahler, and Shostakovich. Click here for more information.
(Photo of Vadim Repin: Haraold Hoffmann, Photo of Helene Grimaud: Mat Hennek, Photo of Vladimir Jurowski: Julien Mignot)